lies 32km north of Galway City on the N17 major route. It owes
its origin according to legend, to the broken chariot wheel
which St. Jarlath took as a sign to found his monastic
settlement here in the 5th century. Tuam, the probable capital
of Ireland during the 12th century, when the High King Rory
O’Connor was in residence. During this period the O’Connors
endowed Tuam with the processional Cross of Cong (now in the
National Museum), and are associated with the ornamental High
Crosses (now in St. Mary's Cathedral). Tuam's location on the N17
makes it a natural dormitory town of Galway city, but it also
has many fine local industries.
is best known as a centre of church affairs, ancient and modern
and has two cathedrals. The town owes its foundation to
monastery established here in the 6th century by St. Jarlath;
ruins of Temple Jarlath, in the centre of the city, date from
around 1360. The 14' 12 century High Cross of Tuam, a decorated
sandstone piece, was once broken in three, with each piece in
different ownership. It is now situated in the rebuilt (1878)
Church of Ireland cathedral, which has a magnificent red
sandstone chancel arch in laboured Romanesque, erected certainly
between 1128 and 1152.
Tuam will commemorate the 400 year
anniversary in 2013, with a festival of events designed to
celebrate this historic marker as well as acknowledge the
extraordinary achievements of its townspeople and market Tuam as
a great place to live, work and visit.
House for the Residents
Please sign the
Petition to prevent the HSE closing Toghermore and
moving the residents to other parts of the county.